Monday, July 7, 2008

Financial Education

I recently read a book, "The Seven Stages of Money Maturity" by George Kinder, that pointed out we do not teach finances in grade school.
As I reflect on my own math education, I was an average student and I learned better if I understood the reason for the knowledge and could visualize it's use. I seldom saw the usefulness of math in my life. I'm only grateful that I learned the basics because it's helped me more than I ever would have imagined. Algebra was my only weakness and perhaps if I had mastered it, it would have supplied the link I missed.


Why don't we teach finances in grade school? Why don't we teach basic business practices? We are expected to numbly go to work for someone else without understanding the business acumen. We are expected to learn about finances from our parents and these lessons are tainted with emotional baggage handed down through the generations.


The statistics from the Dept. of Education show tragic results. In Florida, only 69% of 4th graders and 63% of 8th graders are proficient in Math. Black children come out the lowest of any group with only 52% of 4th graders and 42% of 8th graders. Follow this link and see your states results. http://www.ed.gov/index.jhtml This is a travesty!


Our world is less manual labor and more business oriented. Business are not offering the pension plans of the past and employees are expected to make critical decisions about investing their money. If children aren't taught the importance of these lessons, they won't be prepared to face the financial world when they graduate. They also won't see the need for further education and financial solvency.


We need to petition our school boards and the department of education to add these lessons at the grade school level. Children need to have the tools to work and prosper in the new world.