Saturday, May 31, 2008

Separating the Wheat from the Chaff

Meditating has always been a challenge for me. Like most people, my mind flits from one thing to another and I'm looking for instant gratification. But, I've found a form of meditation that works for me in the Mindfulness Meditation. I like it because it can be done in any setting with no extra props.



Mindfulness Meditation focuses on breathing, something we have to do and is always with us. It focuses on the present moment which is always present. It has helped me put aside my need for something stupendous to happen at every sitting and as a result I've had some interesting experiences.


Most of the time, I've just been able to relax to the point of almost falling asleep. But I've had visions and heard instruction. In one case, I saw a lotus blossoming in and out of my chest and heard/felt the words "Open your heart." I began the quest of opening my heart and found it was more complicated that it appeared. It required forgiveness of myself and others. It also required me to stop criticizing myself and others. I have not heard any further instruction so I assume this quest is not complete.


The most amazing result of meditation has been the ability to be doing something mundane, like washing the dishes, and to find I can focus all my attention on that chore. I can feel the warm water and soap on my hands. I experience the satisfaction of getting the food and grease off and feeling the cool water as I rinse it off. I am fully present in the moment and all the sensations, thoughts and feelings associated with it.


As we rush around in the meaninglessness of our lives we don't fully experience living and all it's wonder. This leads to missing the details, ignoring our feelings and behaving badly. If we can slow ourselves down we can deal with our thoughts, feelings and our behavior appropriately. We can hear the voice of our higher guidance and assuage our ego's need for attention.