Saturday, October 17, 2009

Beyond Anger

My partner and I had a disagreement last week. It turned out he wasn't right and, as I stewed in my anger, I thought about how I was going to let him know it!
Luckily, I was able to calm down and realize it wasn't important. Pointing out his error would have only been hurtful to him and I wasn't going to put him down in an effort to boost my ego.

It was a momentous event. It made me realize how often I act or speak out to calm my fragile ego. Mindfulness meditating on a regular basis has helped me to become more insightful. I pay closer attention to my feelings in meetings and to hold my tongue when I feel the need to protect my ego.

I'm not always comfortable with my feelings, but that's for me to handle within myself or a with a close friend or counselor. It's my responsibility to sort through my turmoil and see if I need to resolve a misunderstanding with the other person. I don't need to hurt someone else.