Sunday, April 4, 2010

Lotsa Wheat

Back in '08, I shared a meditation where I had a message to open my heart. Last Wednesday, I received the  sequel.
My meditation began with a vision of an actual human heart that had been cut open and turned partially inside out. There was no blood or gore. The heart resembled a rubbery material and the feeling was one of ultimate love and light. I felt euphoric and as it slowly faded away I didn't resist letting it go.

I have learned not to get too attached to anything because the only constant is change. In the 12 Step program, I learned to let go, but not why. This finally makes sense. We truly own nothing. We inhabit a body that is created by a sperm invading an egg and ends with the same body being buried or cremated. We pay for a certificate saying we own land and the building on it, cars and other "things", but at some point it is destroyed or becomes someone else's.

We waste so much time trying to hold onto "things" instead of living each moment as it comes. We are the most intelligent animal on the planet and we fail to take any responsibility for it. We pollute the earth and cry when that same pollution kills our children. We sue anyone and everyone for any infraction instead of dealing with our feelings of loss and grief.

The only thing that matters is our relationships with one another and our responsibility to care for the planet and all the life on it - including our own.